OpenVPN 2.4 - Dual Core Support?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
skibb347
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN 2.4 - Dual Core Support?

Post by skibb347 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:43 pm

Hello,

I used to have my router as an OpenVPN client (2.3) but due to the inability for that version to utilize both cores on the CPU, throughput was limited. I was wondering if the new 2.4 now has the ability to take advantage of dual-core CPUs? Thanks!

mrgenie
OpenVPN User

Re: OpenVPN 2.4 - Dual Core Support?

Post by mrgenie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Skibb, it's not only for openVPN to decide.

OpenVPN relies on the encryption you choose: openSSL, polarSSL, etc.

In case of openSSL, if you use AES-256-CBC that's single threading regardless
of what you have elsewhere.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but that's how I understood how it works. Correct me and expert comes
here online and knows this for sure.

Anyway, I tried AES-256-GCM and it was roughyl 30-40% faster on my intel chipsets and
25% on my router chips (marvell, broadcom)

As I understood from openSSL, GCM actually can use more than 1 core. But doesn't do so in the best
efficient way.

Some other forum I read, openSSL is bad implemented anyway and bad maintained. According
to that source, openSSL was always behind the facts. I'm not sure how credible that source is as
the person posting this, didn't reply to what we should use instead. Makes you wonder, having
complaints and no alternative this day does sound weird.

But I really would love to hear from an expert on this as well:
is polarSSL or other indeed faster?
Is other indeed multi-threading?

The fact GCM is much faster than CBC because of multithreading?

good question Skibb! There should be more info out there on this topic!