OpenVPN + Resilio Sync... iOS clients can't direct connect to LAN peers

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
otosnede
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN + Resilio Sync... iOS clients can't direct connect to LAN peers

Post by otosnede » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Here's a batch of screenshots I took from my phone using a network utility app while connected to the OpenVPN server running under pfSense 2.3.4 I have set up on my network.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Everything in these screenshots points to the fact that the phone can see/ping one of my LAN peers running Sync on port 33545 (10.5.1.3), it can even make a direct connection on the Sync listening port, 33545... green lights across the board... but when I open the Sync app on the iOS device with a connected Sync folder I set up on Wi-Fi on the LAN with all default options except "Use relay server", none of the 8+ LAN clients on the 10.5.1.0/24 subnet will connect to the phone. Is there something specific to OpenVPN settings I'm missing that will allow the LAN clients speak to the VPN clients without having to go through their relay servers?

LAN: 10.5.1.0/24
VPN: 10.5.2.0/24

Notable OpenVPN settings:
  • * Client-to-client: enabled
  • * The 10.5.1.0/24 subnet is being pushed to the VPN clients as a route
  • * The DNS on the VPN is set to 10.5.2.1 (which uses the pfSEnse DNS Resolver on pfSense... can use the local DNS names to get to things, etc.)
  • * All traffic is being routed through the VPN

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN + Resilio Sync... iOS clients can't direct connect to LAN peers

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Please contact Resillio and ask if their product will work via openvpn.

otosnede
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN + Resilio Sync... iOS clients can't direct connect to LAN peers

Post by otosnede » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:17 pm

TinCanTech wrote:Please contact Resillio and ask if their product will work via openvpn.
Thanks... I've tried, but getting answers out of them is pretty difficult.

I tried the VPN on my laptop tethered to my cell phone and Sync worked flawlessly... peers connected almost instantly and were all direct connections, so it seems like it's something specifically with iOS which I can't seem to figure out.