Solution: How to fix disconnections on iOS from VPN

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
kolargol
OpenVpn Newbie

Solution: How to fix disconnections on iOS from VPN

Post by kolargol » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 am

Hi,

I wanted to share with you my discover regarding how to fix disconnections from VPN (which happens a lot when you roam or have phone in standby mode). I have posted it here: http://blog.onefellow.com/post/156967681873/iphoneios-openvpn-disconnections in short: you have to configure your mail account to use only mail server via vpn tunnel (tested with IMAP). I am doing so by using dual-stack (IPv4+IPv6) - and i connect to mail server only via IPv6.
Since this my VPN connection stays connected all the time, no matter if i roam via 3G, LTE or WiFi. Currently i am connected over 48h and virtually all my problems with VPN connection gone.
My idea is that Mail.app works in background and constantly keep tunnel up, as this is iOS low level app it have higher priority and tunnel stays open no matter what.

If someone can verify that, that would be nice.

kagar
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Solution: How to fix disconnections on iOS from VPN

Post by kagar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi,

I have great interest in to solve this problem, because the way it is now is unbearable.
Would you mind to post a step by step description how did you set up your iOS device?
I´m not skilled enough to set it up by myself and I don´t even find it on the iPhone 6s.
Thanx and best,

kagar