IP not being changed to that of the VPN Server

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
wco81
OpenVpn Newbie

IP not being changed to that of the VPN Server

Post by wco81 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Trying to set up OpenVPN for access to US streaming content when I'm abroad.

I have a Cell Spot Router distributed by T-Mobile, which is the same model as the Asus WRT routers. I turned on OpenVPN on the built-in VPN server:

http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008713

Then I downloaded the OpenVPN Connect app. and configured it with the .ovpn file generated by the router.

It says it's connected yet my IP doesn't change. My initial test was to try to connect while the iPhone was connected to the internal network, so it would have the same external IP. But OpenVPN Connect would not connect in that case.

So I turned off Wifi so that I'm on mobile network (T-Mobile). Whatismyip.com showed some long set of hex numbers which I'm assuming is some kind of IPv6 value.

Then I connected and OpenVPN indicated it connected to my router and the VPN icon showed up on the menu bar of the iPhone. When I refresh the router page on my Mac, it shows "Connected" for the VPN client.

Yet when I check the external IP of the iPhone, it's the same hex numbers it was before.

So if I'm really connected by OpenVPN, it's not assuming the IP address of the router.

Has anyone been able to configure an OpenVPN connection on iOS?

I was using the PPTP VPN on the router but OpenVPN is suppose to be secure whereas PPTP isn't?

wco81
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: IP not being changed to that of the VPN Server

Post by wco81 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 pm

OK, found an old thread which provided a clue:

viewtopic.php?t=12182

So I changed a setting on the router to "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic."