How to make VPN stay up all the time?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
pjv
OpenVpn Newbie

How to make VPN stay up all the time?

Post by pjv » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:42 pm

I have installed the very cool OpenVPN app for iOS and created a .ovpn profile to connect to the OpenVPN server I have running on my router at home. When I imported the .ovpn through iTunes, it created an "autologin" profile in the app.

Connection works fine. Tunneling working great once connected.

iOS of course is opening and closing the wifi connection all the time when the device is not being actively used -- picking up mail in the background and etc. I have noticed when I pick up the device that the VPN is often not up. I assume that is a result of iOS dropping the wifi connection while it is "sleeping". Then as I use the device the VPN automatically comes back up.

What I was hoping would be the case is that ALL network activity on the iOS device would go through the VPN all the time - thus making sure that I am not leaking data in the background when the device moves from one open wifi to another during the day.

Is there a way to somehow force all network activity through the VPN and keep that persistent even across the devices cycling open and closed the wifi connection?

Slavakom
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: How to make VPN stay up all the time?

Post by Slavakom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:49 pm

The same... :(
persist-tun option should solve it, but at this time it does not work as planned.