Can I remove the OpenVPN Connect notification?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
dcarrera
OpenVpn Newbie

Can I remove the OpenVPN Connect notification?

Post by dcarrera » Thu May 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello,

I just started using OpenVPN Connect on my Android phone. There is a persistent notification that says how long I've been connected, the server, and the profile that I'm using. I hate apps that fill up my screen with notifications. To me it is a constant nuisance that every time I swipe down a chunk of my screen is taken by OpenVPN Connect, and every time I press the ON button I am greeted with another message from OpenVPN Connect right in the middle of the screen.

What can I do about this? Is there a "quiet" setting somewhere? Can I tell Android to hide OpenVPN Connect notifications? Can I do anything to make OpenVPN Connect less intrusive? I really don't like intrusive apps. I actually have uninstalled every single app that decided to put frequent notifications on my screen. I am holding the urge to delete OpenVPN Connect because I value the security I get from using my VPN. I would be very grateful for any help you might offer.

dcarrera
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can I remove the OpenVPN Connect notification?

Post by dcarrera » Fri May 26, 2017 7:10 pm

I found the solution. In Android, go to

Settings > Sound & Notifications > Notifications > Apps > OpenVPN Connect > Block

soroushjp
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can I remove the OpenVPN Connect notification?

Post by soroushjp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 am

Note that removing this may cause issues for OpenVPN when your Android is under memory pressure. Quoting the FAQ:
Duplicate notifications

If Android is under system memory (RAM) pressure, apps and service which are not needed at the moment are removed from active memory. This terminates an ongoing VPN connection. To ensure that the connection/OpenVPN survives the service runs with higher priority. To run with higher priority the application must display a notification. The key notification icon is imposed by the system as described in the previous FAQ entry. It does not count as app notification for purpose of running with higher priority.
Replying to this old post since it seems to be the #1 result on Google currently for search terms relating to getting rid of this notification.