Newb needing help with Transport Error DNS resolve error

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
ultra2000000000
OpenVpn Newbie

Newb needing help with Transport Error DNS resolve error

Post by ultra2000000000 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 am

Hello,
I will try to give you as much detail as necessary. Hopefully it will all be applicable and I don't waste too much of your time. I've attempted to search the forum for similar issues and while I've found some, none quite seemed to help. And while this issue also occurs with my OpenVPN desktop app (Windows10), I want to see if I can get my droid working first - who knows, maybe this place will kill two birds with one stone :)

The current error when trying to use OpenVPN on my phone is:
Transport Error: DNS resolve error on '[mydomainname.blah.blah]' for UDP session: Host not found (authoritative)

Backstory as to what I'm trying to accomplish:
I have been trying to set up a hardware VPN using Raspberry Pi3 by following this article: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33548728
At the end of this article it suggested I use ChangeIP to set up a ddns, however, it didn't go into too much detail and I kind of winged it. I have created a domain which I can ping and it is giving me my public ip correctly, so I'm assuming I did that step correctly.

I really have no idea what the error could mean and not sure if it's something to do with my domain that I set up through changeip.com. But here's what I've done since encountering the error:
- I've forwarded ports 443 and 1194 on the local network IP that my Raspberry Pi is connected to on the linksys router
- I've forwarded ports 443 and 1194 on the local network IP that my linksys is connected to on the Comcast modem/router
- I've manually changed my DNS to “80.67.14.78" or “8.8.8.8”.

Here's a general overview of what my network looks like:
(internet) < > [Comcast modem/router] < > [Linksys Router] < > Raspberri Pi 3 and other computers/devices
Side note: The reason for the linksys is because the comcast router is terrible for wifi and I had a linksys lying around which solved all my wifi issues.

My config is as follows:

Code: Select all

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote [mydomain.blah.blah] 1194 #REPLACE YOUR DYNAMIC DNS VALUE FROM CHANGEIP$  note: I'm purposefully hiding the domain I made.
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
mute-replay-warnings
ns-cert-type server
key-direction 1
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo
verb 1
mute 20   
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
yadda yadda
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</cert>
<key>
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
yadda yadda
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
</key>
<tls-auth>
#
# 2048 bit OpenVPN static key
#
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
yadda yadda
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
</tls-auth>
my ddclient config file:

Code: Select all

#ddclient.conf

#tell ddclient how to get your ip address
use=web, web=ip.changeip.com #I left this unchanged, wasn't sure if ip.changeip.com was placeholder or not.

#provide server and login details
protocol=changeip
ssl=yes
server=nic.changeip.com/nic/update
login=yourLogin #I certainly changed this to my username
password=yourPassword #I of course change this to have my password

#specify the domain to update
mydomain.blah.blah
Please, any help on this would be awesome. I'm using the raspberry pi as a learning tool. Thank you for taking the time to read.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Newb needing help with Transport Error DNS resolve error

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:16 am

ultra2000000000 wrote:I use ChangeIP to set up a ddns, however, it didn't go into too much detail and I kind of winged it. I have created a domain which I can ping and it is giving me my public ip correctly, so I'm assuming I did that step correctly.
ultra2000000000 wrote:Transport Error: DNS resolve error on '[mydomainname.blah.blah]' for UDP session: Host not found (authoritative)
I guess not ..

ultra2000000000
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Newb needing help with Transport Error DNS resolve error

Post by ultra2000000000 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Okay, thank you, but... could you kindly elaborate? The setup was nothing more than register the name. Does the rest of my configuration look okay?