Connect is Gray on the Client

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
ckc006
OpenVpn Newbie

Connect is Gray on the Client

Post by ckc006 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:58 pm

I installed openvpn (for android) and imported a profile. The import seemed to indicate that the process worked. But the large button labeled "Connect" seems to be gray. When I tap it anyway, I see no traffic from my phone on tcpdump at the server leading me to believe the client isn't even trying to connect. I checked the remote line in the import file and it specifies the correct server/port.

Is there an obvious reason that the imported profile would not allow a connection? What validation does the client do before offering to connect? Is there an Android local log file to look at (will logcat help)?

I also tried creating a shortcut and that just flashes the app briefly and disappears further leading me to believe that something is mis-configured.

Is there a test profile I might try to see this thing work once so I would know what to expect?

ckc006
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Connect is Gray on the Client

Post by ckc006 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 pm

I discovered/solved the issue. I use Google Fi as my cellular provider. Google provides a VPN of its own which turns on when you connect to one of their (or a partners) wifi node. When this is enabled, OpenVPN will not offer to connect. Once I disabled that feature, OpenVPN connected. Perhaps the application should provide some guidance to the user regarding this situation?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Connect is Gray on the Client

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 pm

So,
  • Google-Fi uses it's own VPN which disables Openvpn
  • Google-Fi VPN can be disabled which allows the use of Openvpn
Thanks for letting us know 8-)

ckc006 wrote:Perhaps the application should provide some guidance to the user regarding this situation?
You mean Openvpn should provide support for Google Products ?

I expect a moderator will rename this thread to something like:
Google-Fi uses it's own VPN which disables Openvpn
if you prefer.