Softether: Login points to different certificate details

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
mook
OpenVpn Newbie

Softether: Login points to different certificate details

Post by mook » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 pm

I previously had a working vpn setup using softether vpn server in a vmware environment. Logged in via android with user/password and certificate. Built a new server again running softether vpn. Server starts with no errors, can login and configure fine via softether admin.

PROBLEM:
Logging in via android client, the client is showing a verify error, pointing to my OTHER vpn certificate. I have the NEW certificate copied on to the phone, and the profile is correctly pointing to it. I looked everywhere for what to change, can't figure it out. Even deleted the new server vpn config file and created from scratch - no go. The only error may be related to this: a new server certificate has been set
if you are using openvpn protocols, please mind that you may have to update the inline certificate data in the openvpn configuration file. This was a message which popped up within the softether vpn dialog that may point to the culprit, but I have searched the internet to no avail.

Is the openVPN android client somehow pointing to the other certificate details? If so, where is that changed?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Login points to different certificate details

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 pm

mook wrote:Built a new server again running softether vpn
mook wrote:The only error may be related to this:
  • a new server certificate has been set

if you are using openvpn protocols, please mind that you may have to update the inline certificate data in the openvpn configuration file
Because your server certificate has been changed there is probably a new client certificate which you need to use in your client now. You should check the Softether documentation.

mook
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mook » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Yeah, thanks, but I clearly stated I'm pointing to the new certificate in the client.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:30 pm

And your log clearly stated you have not ..

Try here:
I am sure they will be able to help you with softether.

mook
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Softether: Login points to different certificate details

Post by mook » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Dude, how can I clearly state this:

Click pen icon in profiles. Choose select, point to the NEW cert file. CA Cert details shows: imported from: newfile.cer
Next click on the name of vpn connection to connect, it points to the old certificate.

Log says: VERIFY ERROR: depth=0, error=self signed certificate: CN=THE OLD CERTIFICATE DETAILS, O=THE OLD CERTIFICATE DETAILS, etc...

Same thing for the softether vpn admin gui:
Click ENCRYPTION AND NETWORK SETTINGS
Server certificate settings shows the NEW cert details.

So..... Where is this old reference coming from? Your link just points to the main forum page.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:19 am

Dude, I am trying to help ..

Try a quick search of the openvpn forum for softether like so:
https://is.gd/izBfY1

In the years I have been here I have not heard of your problem before.
So your best option is to go to the correct website for assistance.
But somebody else reading your question may be able to help .. hang in there.

mook
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mook » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:48 am

Yes, it's posted on Softether forum as well. Search here revealed 5 items, most are my own posts.

mook
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mook » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Reformatted my server (running on raspberry pi 3). Installed softether vpn server once again. Created cert/setup server. Imported cert to openvpn for android app, STILL points to the old details in the log - not able to connect to server. Tapping the cert details in app shows that it is the new certificate, still shows in the log however, that it's somehow pointing to the old details/cn name. Even uninstalled the app on phone, reinstalled. The app brought up my old profiles even though it was uninstalled.

SO, I strongly believe that it is a problem with OPENVPN FOR ANDROID. There is a setting in on the phone that is just not getting erased/overwritten. If you could point me to where that is, it would be great.

Thanks--

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Can you post your server log at verb 4 and what ever log your android gives ?

You might also try the mailing list or IRC channel for some more help on android.