Lollipop: OpenVPN connects, no data. Jellybean: Connects, gets data

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
wbmiller3
OpenVpn Newbie

Lollipop: OpenVPN connects, no data. Jellybean: Connects, gets data

Post by wbmiller3 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:52 pm

I have 2 Azpen tablets, one running 5.1.1, the other running 4.2.2. I have an OpenVPN server and I am able to connect and use it successfully with a variety of devices (Windows, Linux, and the 4.2.2 tablet).

On both tablets I use OpenVPN Connect.

However, with the 5.1.1 tablet, it connects, I receive 4.02 Mbytes of data, and then nothing else ever happens. Applications are unable to get any data from the network.

Something else is clearly wrong too, because when I hit Disconnect in OpenVPN Connect, it does not disconnect cleanly. It seems to hang for a few seconds, then I get a message about "threads", and the normal network connection does not come back until I power the tablet off and back on. If I try to connect again with OpenVPN before the power cycle, it hangs at the DNS step.

The OpenVPN config files on both devices are identical except for the device-specific items. I have to think there is a setting somewhere on the Lollipop tablet that I'm missing. (I'm much more familiar with the 4.2.2 tablet).

Comparing the logfiles does not shed any light. I keep coming back to a problem or setting on the tablet that I can't find.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?