Can't start OpenVPN Access Server

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
TinyUser
OpenVpn Newbie

Can't start OpenVPN Access Server

Post by TinyUser » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:11 am

Hi.

Sorry if this is already answered but I searched and found nothing recent.

I downloaded and installed got openvpn-as-2.0.10-Fedora19.x86_64.rpm and installed it on a RamNode VM (Fedora 16 64-bit).

Made it through various installation steps including ones from

https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-se ... guide.html

Got all sorts of nice success messages. Went to the OpenVPN control panel (OpenVPN Access Server Status Overview) and it looks fine except that the server is not started. Clicked on "Start the Server" and got the following error message:

process started and then immediately exited: ['Mon Sep 22 19:35:14 2014 Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external program']
service failed to start or returned error status
process started and then immediately exited: ['Mon Sep 22 19:35:15 2014 Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external program']
service failed to start or returned error status

Googling this error I find only some years-old docs that some similar error was fixed in a build.

I am no linux engineer and everything I did was pretty vanilla.

I have more detailed logs of what I did.

I am stumped - to me, this is not a usable product (since there is no way I can make it work, start the server).

Could someone help me?

Thanks!

TinyUser
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can't start OpenVPN Access Server

Post by TinyUser » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:23 am

Cancel that!

Worked for hours trying out to figure out what might have been wrong. Obviously some script was getting fouled up somewhere looking for ifconfig, but not finding it. Tried creating linux symbolic links but that did not work.

Rather than trying to find and fix the offending script, which would have been the next step, I just reimaged the VM and upgraded to Ubuntu 14. OpenVPN immediately worked right out of the box after the install.

This is closed - nothing to do now.