Windows servers... VPN?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
jtippins
OpenVpn Newbie

Windows servers... VPN?

Post by jtippins » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Hello,

OK totally noob here. My boss has ask me to look into using OpenVPN.

Our setup and problem (can OpenVPN help/work for us)
- We are an all Windows server 2008R2 setup (4 servers on a rack at a hosting company)
- The servers (sad to say) are using only IP based security rules via windows FireWall
- I must add and update the rules to allow new Dev/IT team members access by adding their IP's to the scope. (its a pain to keep track of and if a Dev/IT members IP changes then they cant get in until I make the update)
-???- I don't see in "OpenVPN Access Server" download anything for Windows server.. am I missing something or am I in the wrong place?
Link: http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-ser ... as-sw.html

What I would like to do (if OpenVPN can)
- Install VPN server side app/service on the Servers
- Have our Dev team install the VPN client (give them connecting details/keys/PW's)
- Then can kill and close up all the ports we have open (to IP scope/list) on the servers as that our Dev team will get into the servers via VPN?
-???- So can OpenVPN do this for Windows Servers??

Thanks for all and any help, I need it :? !
/Jim

maikcat
Forum Team

Re: Windows servers... VPN?

Post by maikcat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:17 am

please look for open source version,AS is a commercial and usually installs on linux based servers.

yes you can open a single port/proto combo , create certs for your clients and grant access to
them...

keep reading... :)

Michael
Amiga 500 , Zx +2 owner
Long live Dino Dini (Kick off 2 Creator)

Inflammable means flammable? (Dr Nick Riviera,Simsons Season13)

"objects in mirror are losing"