OpenVPN AS vs Free with 2FA

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Zach.Zamora
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN AS vs Free with 2FA

Post by Zach.Zamora » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Hey there, I have some questions/concerns regarding the differences between the OpenVPN AS and the OpenVPN free services. I currently have the free version installed with DUO 2fa using openvpn-auth-radius plugin that calls to the DUO auth proxy. What I am noticing is that when I connect to the VPN everything seems okay and works as normal, but when I connect with another user, I am finding that while waiting for a response back from DUO for the 2FA, openvpn will stop passing ALL traffic. I have read around a bit and found some patches to the radius plugin, and even openvpn, so that it would Defer the authentication to a tmp file, and check that auth response later, so as to not cause OpenVPN to stop passing traffic. It is a bit buggy for me and will occasionally act up, and drop traffic on disconnect, not sure exactly why. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and found a way around it?

I have also installed the OpenVPN Access Server on a test machine and I have found that it does NOT have the same behavior, I am considering just purchasing OpenVPN access server, but I want to be sure that on a larger user scale(maybe 100 users), will it be fine, or will it eventually have the same issues?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.