IPv6 DNS servers assigned to clients

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
sutra
OpenVpn Newbie

IPv6 DNS servers assigned to clients

Post by sutra » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:40 am

I've just got an install of AS 2.1.9 running with a 2 x interface setup (1 x public, 1 x private) and clients are connecting OK.

I've got:
- split tunnelling (Should client Internet traffic be routed through the VPN?) switched on,
- "Have clients use these DNS servers" on,
- DNS resolution zones populated,
- Default domain suffix populated

I'd like clients to split tunnel but also be assigned the IPv4 DNS servers that I specify.

Currently, my windows 10 client gets assigned 3 x IPv6 DNS servers if split tunnelling is on and internal names do not resolve. How do I enable split tunnelling while also forcing DNS servers of my choosing to be assigned to the client?

sutra
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: IPv6 DNS servers assigned to clients

Post by sutra » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:00 am

An update to my previous post:

With IPv6 disabled at the client side, the access server is not pushing DNS to the TAP adapter. ipconfig/all shows no DNS servers for the TAP adapter but the DNS suffix is populated. If I ping the fqdn, then the address is resolved correctly to the internal IP address. If I ping the hostname then it fails to resolve. nslookup is using the public DNS servers assigned to the wifi adapter on the client even when the TAP adapter has the lowest metric.

I can't understand what is resolving the fqdn queries when there is no mention of the internal DNS servers that I'm trying to push out to clients. I can workaround by editing the TAP adapter IPv4 settings to manually specify the DNS servers for now but not ideal.

The problem is intermittent and some win10 clients are effected where others are not and I cannot find the differentiating factor between those.

rsenio
OpenVPN Power User

Re: IPv6 DNS servers assigned to clients

Post by rsenio » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Any update on this? Out of the blue I've got one Windows 10 PC doing the same thing. It was working fine