[Help] OpenVPN AS to AWS Virtual Gateway - tunnel up, but not routing traffic

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
rrands1
OpenVpn Newbie

[Help] OpenVPN AS to AWS Virtual Gateway - tunnel up, but not routing traffic

Post by rrands1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:27 am

Here is my setup:
OpenVPN AS 2.1.3 Hyper-V Image
Followed instructions here: https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-se ... (VHD)&ex=1

AWS VPC = 10.0.0.0/16, two Subnets - 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.1.0/24
All traffic allowed in and out (for testing)
1 Windows 2016 instance in each subnet with the firewall disabled
AWS Route tables send traffic for 172.27.224.0/20 (AS Server's VPN IPs), and 192.168.1.0/24 (my home subnet) to the AWS VPN Gateway - other traffic goes out internet GW

Home network = 192.168.1.0/24 - Asus RT-AC68U router with IP port 500 and UDP 50 and UDP 1194 allowed in, sent to AS VM
==============
According to AS and AWS, both tunnels are up. However, it is not routing traffic. I can't ping hosts from either side of the VPN, even though I can ping local hosts just fine.

Also, on the AS side, doing an IFConfig shows 0 TX or RX traffic or dropped if I just ping by IP. If I tell it what interface to use (i.e. Ping -I AS0t0 10.0.1.181), then the IFConfig shows TX packets, but no RX or dropped.

on my AS server, the IP route shows what is in the IPRoute attachment (sorry - i can't figure out how to insert it here...:S)
===============

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I have read and read & beat my head against the wall, but can't figure out what might be wrong. I am a Linux n00b, and have never ran tools like wireshark or TCPDump, though I think that might be next - I just don't know what I would be looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.