AWS Accessing Multiple VPCs over Peering Connection

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
chew224
OpenVpn Newbie

AWS Accessing Multiple VPCs over Peering Connection

Post by chew224 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Has anyone tried a setup where clients connected to an OpenVPN server can see a second VPC across an AWS Peering Connection?

My setup:
-I have an OpenVPN Access Server EC2 instance deployed in AWS (the image is the one from the AWS Marketplace).

-I have two VPCs in the same region (US-EAST). Call them VPC-1 and VPC-2. The OpenVPN AS is deployed in VPC-1. I can connect to the VPN and ping all the servers inside VPC-1.

-However, I cannot ping anything inside VPC-2. I have an "AWS Peering Connection" setup between the two VPCs. The peering connection works because if I remote into a server in VPC-1, I can ping the servers in VPC-2, but I cannot ping directly from the VPN.

-In the OpenVPN AS UI console, I have added the access routes to the configuration for both VPCs. The option I have set is to "Yes, using NAT"

Any help is appreciated!

AlphaAnt
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: AWS Accessing Multiple VPCs over Peering Connection

Post by AlphaAnt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Bumping this because I'm trying to set up the same situation and am having the same issue.

I assume it's a routing issue; I added the range of VPN IPs to the route table of VPC 2 (not the one with the openVPN instance), as well as added the IPs of that VPC to the route table of the VPC with the openVPN instance. Pings between the two VPCs work, pings between the client and servers within the VPN VPC work, but traffic is not going between clients and the remote VPC. I also made sure to disable Source/Destination check on all associated EC2 instances.

Any thoughts?