Local LAN access

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
roland
OpenVpn Newbie

Local LAN access

Post by roland » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Hello,

I'm new to OpenVPN AS and trying to set-up this for the first time. The VPN connection is working from my iPad and Linux client to a remote site. However with the default set-up i had no local LAN access in the network my iPad or Linux client is connected to. After i disabled "Should client Internet traffic be routed through the VPN?" I can access the local LAN (and the hosts at the remote network where the OpenVPN AS is).

However, is it also possible to enable the "Should client Internet traffic be routed through the VPN" option and add a route somewhere for different network ranges on the locally connected LAN?

Basically I need to access internet through the tunnel and connect to LAN through the default routes from the client. However these default routes are not available when enabling the "Should client Internet traffic be routed through the VPN" option.

Example:
Linux client connected to 172.16.10.0 /24 network on local LAN
Need to connect to 172.16.20.0 /24 through linux client default gateway 172.16.10.1
Need to connect to 172.16.30.0 /24 through linux client default gateway 172.16.10.1
Need to connect to 172.16.40.0 /24 through linux client default gateway 172.16.10.1

Currently NAT traffic in the OpenVPN AS settings is enabled (default), not route, I’m not sure if i need to change this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Roland

steve79
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Local LAN access

Post by steve79 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:51 pm

you have to white list those IP under a group - i had same issue.

so create a group - and then show
Access Control Yes Use Access Control?
Yes
Allow Access To networks and services:
enter the IP here

so this will route the traffic to those IP only and then all traffic will stay local - night mare with openvpn