openVPN passes wrong IP.

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
steph007
OpenVpn Newbie

openVPN passes wrong IP.

Post by steph007 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 pm

I've installed the openVPN RPM on a Centos 6.2 behind a firewall which nats the public ip on port 943 to the openVPN servers private IP address (10.104.100.104). I'm able to get pass the first screen after login but I'm getting stuck where I need to use openVPN connect since the client software seems to be configured with the VPN servers private address... Is there a way to configure openVPN to pass the firewalls IP instead of the actual server ip in a config file or something?

thanks in advance,
-steph

Delphinus
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: openVPN passes wrong IP.

Post by Delphinus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Steph,

You need to configure the 'remote' parameter in your Defaults.txt file with the Public IP or DDNS entry.

Example:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote PUBLIC_IP_GOES_HERE
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
mute-replay-warnings
ns-cert-type server
key-direction 1
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo
verb 2
mute 20

Angel_I
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Angel_I » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Hey Delphinus!

where is this defaults.txt file on an debian server? It happens to me as well, thanks!

jamesanderson9182
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jamesanderson9182 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:02 pm

For me, this file was in (Ubuntu)

Code: Select all

/etc/openvpn/client-template.txt

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:50 am

Hello,

I assume that you're talking about OpenVPN Access Server here. In that case just go to the Admin UI, log in as the openvpn administrator, and go to Network Settings. In the 'host name or IP address' field put in the correct external public IP, or better, a DNS name that resolves to that external public IP, and save settings and update runnings servers. From now any new connection profiles downloaded from this Access Server will contain the correct public address to reach your Access Server at. Already installed VPN clients may need a reinstall or reimport of the profile.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support