Authentication issues with different client and server versions

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
bigmaneric97
OpenVpn Newbie

Authentication issues with different client and server versions

Post by bigmaneric97 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:16 pm

We have a server that that is running version 2.3.10-1ubuntu2 that has authentication issues with people using client version 2.0.18.202. It says that the credentials/password is bad. Use client version 1.0 build 20100521162253 and you login. My guess is that the encryption may be off.

We have another server running openvpn-as version 2.0.21-Ubuntu12 and both clients can can log into this server with no issues. Any Ideas on what I can look at to see why the credentials work from one client and not the other?

Thanks,
Eric

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Authentication issues with different client and server versions

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:24 pm

You will find it easier to deal with one problem at a time.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Authentication issues with different client and server versions

Post by novaflash » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 am

Eric, you're using the OpenVPN Connect Client commercial program with the open source version as a server. I'm afraid that, while that may work in most situations, but not all, it is not designed to be used like that. It is designed to be used with the OpenVPN Access Server, and as expected, it works there.

You are referring to a client version 1.0 build 20100521162253. I am going to assume that is the "OpenVPN DESKTOP Client". And if so, you should drop that client ASAP. Do not use it for production use. It is old, outdated, no longer supported, no longer maintained, and known to contain serious security flaws that were never addressed because that software has been end-of-life for years now.

If you're going to be using the open source program as a server, you should consider using the open source client as the client software as well. It's called OpenVPN GUI and available from the community section of www.openvpn.net.

Good luck.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.