Using OpenVPN behind a reverse webproxy - Disable HTTPS/SSL on OpenVPN Webserver

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
connchri
OpenVpn Newbie

Using OpenVPN behind a reverse webproxy - Disable HTTPS/SSL on OpenVPN Webserver

Post by connchri » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Hello,

I have a rather complicated setup I am struggling with getting an OpenVPN AS working nicely with my reverse proxy.

I have a FreeBSD box with Nginx doing my SSL for my subdomains and reverse proxying to my webservers as needed. The network between the reverse proxy and my web servers is trusted. I wish to do a similar thing with the OpenVPN client login page. However, this requres that I disable SSL on the OpenVPN web server (Just the webserver - not the rest of the encryption for connecting tunnels - all client connections will be handled via another interface and associated network).

It already has two network interfaces - one into my Lan (which sits behind a NAT'd gateway and everything has internet access - appropriate ports have been forwarded to allow OpenVPN Client Tunnel Connections), and the other interface is to the private LAN with only the reverseproxy being the only other machine connected. All SSL web traffic will be done from the reverse proxy box, and so all traffic on this private lan need not be encrypted via an SSL HTTPS connection to the OpenVPN web server.

So, the TL;DR version of the question: How do I configure OPENVPN's Webserver to serve only HTTP non-SSL'd traffic (And not HTTPS/SSL'd traffic).

Cheers

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Using OpenVPN behind a reverse webproxy - Disable HTTPS/SSL on OpenVPN Webserver

Post by novaflash » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm

There is no option or configuration possibility in Access Server to strip away SSL from the Access Server web interface. So, the answer to your question is; you can't.

Well, unless you add ANOTHER reverse proxy that talks HTTPS to Access Server, and presents it as HTTP to the client, or something.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

connchri
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Using OpenVPN behind a reverse webproxy - Disable HTTPS/SSL on OpenVPN Webserver

Post by connchri » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Bah humbug. Ohhh Well, what I'll probably need to do is configure the reverse proxy just to redirect to the same domain but to a different port. I can then set up Let's Encrypt on the OpenVPN AS.

I'm surprised as the Access Server is aimed at paying customers, and I would have imagined many businesses with similar setup. Anyway, thank you for your swift and direct reply.

Cheers!

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:06 pm

> I have a rather complicated setup

I think that answers why you're having some issues :-D
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.