Openvpn AS and client certificates

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
jehster
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn AS and client certificates

Post by jehster » Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi,

I am quite sure that this question was put already but did not find the answer.

Is it possible to use client certificate with OpenVPN AS ?

In extension, is it possible to use certificate with Openvpn AS and ldap as authentication ?

(please don't be rude, I'm new here)

regards
Jerome

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Openvpn AS and client certificates

Post by novaflash » Wed May 03, 2017 2:45 pm

The OpenVPN Access Server already by default generates and distributes client certificates.

LDAP credential checking is possible, the support for this is already built into the Access Server.

I suggest you install and test the Access Server. Simply install it without providing a license key. It will allow 2 simultaneous VPN connections in this demo mode, allowing you to test it without having to purchase first.

Good luck.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

jehster
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jehster » Thu May 04, 2017 8:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, it's a really good news.
I already have an OpenVPN AS for testing but using PAM. As I connect with user/password on web interface, I thought that it was not using certificate but password.
It mean that if I remove user password, I can still connect to my openvpn ?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 am

By default the Access Server uses client certificates + credentials to make a connection. You can extend that even with Google Authenticator.

But if you want to be able to make a connection with only a client certificate, then give a user the autologin privilege. If you install Connect Client after assigning that privilege, then a connection can be made with the stored autologin type profile with the embedded client certificate, without requiring credentials.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.