EULA is lacking

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
someguy007
OpenVpn Newbie

EULA is lacking

Post by someguy007 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 am

Hello,

I just read your EULA and I think you need to add in a section for multiple instances of OpenVPN.
Currently there is nothing stopping someone from creating 30 or more instances in a virtual environment and write a load balancing script with NGINX to get a 60 user access using the 2 free accounts.

Just thought you should know

Thank You

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: EULA is lacking

Post by novaflash » Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Technically I suppose you can do that. But seriously, who wants to manage that? And what if for example you want to give access to your network with routing method, as some protocols require? Then you can direct traffic to one instance and that's it. Quite a limit there. I doubt there any many people crazy enough to set things up like that to be honest. Also the pain in managing all the different subnets. Not very practical.

But anyways, thanks for the information.

edit: also load balancing would be a major pain for various reasons.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

someguy007
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: EULA is lacking

Post by someguy007 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 am

Interesting; this would take me 20 minutes for the configuration to set this up and 2 minutes to spawn these instances with Xenserver. All same subnet all with same routes all in there own vlans isolated from each other; management super easy with python script to inject parameters using XenAPI and xe calls. Not hard nor impractical just takes the know how to do it. Then someone publishes the playbook and scripts in github and then you have a whole lot of crazy people trying it.

As for the LB it works fine with nginx, just takes the know how to configure it.

Microsoft made same mistake with Windows 2000 Terminal Server licenses EULA back in the day and shortly changed it in Windows 2003 and again with Windows XP in virtualization, correcting that mistake in Windows 7.

Now I am not giving the whole pie away since I really don't want people to do this, but I am sure you have a clever engineer on staff who can test this out based on the information I have given already, just make sure everyone is wearing their brown pants that day.

Thank You for your reply and above is just more food for thought.