DNS name resolution does not work

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
daddepalli
OpenVpn Newbie

DNS name resolution does not work

Post by daddepalli » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:04 am

Hello All,

We are having issues on some computers that connect via OpenVPN where name resolution does not work. Most of the employees in our company work from home and some have to remotely login to our office network to access our Shares and VMWare servers etc. We have Comcast as our Service Provider and their IP range is 10.0.1.2-10.0.1.254 in our office.

We setup the OpenVPN appliance as a Virtual machine and we configured it to provide an IP in the 10.0.2.x range with a routing added back to 10.0.1.0/24.

When users connect using OpenVPN client, they are assigned the 10.0.2.x IP, however they cannot issue a ping by hostname or nslookup a host or IP address. they CAN ping by IP address, which is not ideal, because they now have to remember the IPs of the servers that they want to connect to. They could eventually get used to it, but we want to understand why this isnt working and if we have it setup wrong.

We tried the Bridged Mode setting in the settings page for OpenVPN, and that puts us on the same subnet as our office servers, but we still CANNOT ping servers by hostname while we are on the VPN. I am one of the users affected and I can definitely ping the servers by hostname when I am physically in the office. When I work from home, I cannot ping the servers or access them by hostnames. I can only use IP addresses.

We have a ticket open with OpenVPN, but their support hasnt been very responsive.

Any suggestions on what to look for or what information you need from me to help me troubleshoot further would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
DK

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: DNS name resolution does not work

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:10 pm

daddepalli wrote:We setup the OpenVPN appliance as a Virtual machine
That would be Openvpn-Access-Server ?

daddepalli
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by daddepalli » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:12 pm

correct, this is OpenVpn-Access-Server

pako
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by pako » Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 am

daddepalli, did you resolve this issue?
I am evaluating Access Server now and have the same problem - clients cannot resolve host-names in the office.

Interestingly, I have been using the community edition for 8 years and everything has been just perfect, no hiccups.

rsenio
OpenVPN Power User

Post by rsenio » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Your first suspect might be the firewall. However you mentioned that even while being assigned the same subnet IP you still cannot resolve names?

I'd make sure you're pushing the correct DNS servers, your internal ones. As well as made sure you've correctly entered in the DNS resolution zone and domain suffix in the Access server vpn settings.

So, this was working....and just stopped? Or this is a new setup?

saliskhan
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by saliskhan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 am

I have similar issue with DNS .
First PC domain Joined. I connect OpenVPN and try to ping mydomain.com . it give error as can't resolve host but its working if I use IP address
Second PC Not joined to domain . I connect OpenVPN and try to ping mydomain.com . it work perfectly .

can you please let me know what will be the issue

Thanks

rsenio
OpenVPN Power User

Post by rsenio » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:55 pm

saliskhan wrote:I have similar issue with DNS .
First PC domain Joined. I connect OpenVPN and try to ping mydomain.com . it give error as can't resolve host but its working if I use IP address
Second PC Not joined to domain . I connect OpenVPN and try to ping mydomain.com . it work perfectly .

can you please let me know what will be the issue

Thanks

Read the post of mine above yours. Firewall seems to the issue with your domain vs non-domain computer. And dont hijack someone elses thread.