Update appliance 1.8.4 to 2.1.4

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
sbraudrick
OpenVpn Newbie

Update appliance 1.8.4 to 2.1.4

Post by sbraudrick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:10 pm

I am having trouble updating a version 1.8.4 appliance to 2.1.4. I following the instructions here:

https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-se ... erver.html

On install it fails with GLIBC_2.14 not found and GLIBC_2.15 not found.

I realize this is a big version jump, is it possible to go from 1.8.4 to 2.1.4 or should I just install the new version fresh and reconfigure?

Thanks,
Sean

rsenio
OpenVPN Power User

Re: Update appliance 1.8.4 to 2.1.4

Post by rsenio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:13 pm

My suggestion would be to do a fresh install on the latest OS. It isn't going to take long at all, and all you'll need to do is request a new license key.

Another option would be to see if you can install the missing packages and try the upgrade again. Maybe sudo apt-get install libc6?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Update appliance 1.8.4 to 2.1.4

Post by novaflash » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:50 am

sbraudrick, your problem is because you are trying to install an installer file made for a more up-to-date operating system than you actually have. Don't do that. Always pick the installer file that matches your operating system NAME and VERSION. For example if you try to install the installer file for Ubuntu 16 on an Ubuntu 12 system, you're gonna have problems like these.

To solve this you need to either:
- use an installer file for your OS name and version, and perform the upgrade that way
- if that's not available because your OS is old, update the OS to newer version, then install the new Access Server
- alternatively, backup your data, install a new up-to-date OS, install latest Access Server, restore a backup of the old data

In some cases you need a new license key which must be arranged through the support ticket system.

Personally, if I find my system is Ubuntu 14 and I need 16, an upgrade is perfectly possible. If I find my system is Ubuntu 8, and I need 16, I'm better off doing a backup, then a fresh install of Ubuntu 16, and then installing Access Server and restoring the database backup.

For further details I suggest you contact the support department at www.openvpn.net > sign in > support.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.