Dynamic group assignment to facilitate dynamic firewall rules

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
ksebion
OpenVpn Newbie

Dynamic group assignment to facilitate dynamic firewall rules

Post by ksebion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:01 am

Hello,
I have group A and group B in openvpn-as. Group A has full access to the LANs.
The value of "access_to.0" and value of "access_to.1" for group B are respectively "+ROUTE:0.0.0.0/0:tcp/3389" and "-ALL"
Users are by default in group B.

I would like to be able to configure openvpn-as to consider a user (user 1) connecting from an authorized device as being in group A.
I would like to be able to configure openvpn-as to consider user 1 connecting from an unauthorized device as being in group B.

I tried configuring openvpn-as to promote user 1 connections from an authorized device to group A with a post-auth script.
However, "GROUP_SELECT=True" breaks autologin connections and "GROUP_SELECT=False" results in no promotion.

With a regular openvpn server, I had used "learn-address" to do dynamic firewall rules for each connection.

Is there a way to do the promotion of user 1 connections from an authorized device to group A while not doing said promotion when user is connecting from an unauthorized device?

ksebion
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Dynamic group assignment to facilitate dynamic firewall rules

Post by ksebion » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:00 pm

The post-auth script wasn't working for me due to a logic error in my code.

For anyone wondering, setting authret['proplist']['conn_group'] to a group when a client matches criteria is enough for a firewall rule from said group to take effect.
In other words, I did not need to use proplist_save or "GROUP_SELECT = True".