Openvpn Appliance install

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
vb314
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn Appliance install

Post by vb314 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the process of installing the openvpn server as an virtual appliance on a ubuntu 16.04 host.

During installation at the at the 3rd question. Please specify the network interface and ip address to be used by the admin ui i get the following error when i choose the default.

After setting up the Virtual Machine it stopped at "Please enter the option number from list above (1-1)"
When I pressed enter: "Traceback (most recent call last): File "usr\local\openvpn_as\bin\_ovpn-init", line 373, in <module> LOGIN_IP = Suggest IPS[1] Indexerror: list index out of range"

Thanks,
VB

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Openvpn Appliance install

Post by novaflash » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 am

I think your system doesn't have an IP at all and doesn't get one from a DHCP server either.

In that case set an IP in the operating system and then run ovpn-init again.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

sprooty
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by sprooty » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm having the same problem. Running appliance for the first time in VMware Workstation - 12.1.0 build-3272444

DHCP and Static IP both not working.

Instructions also do not reflect the updated adpter names, this section no-longer makes sense - Configure Static IP Addressing (optional)
(https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-se ... nment.html)

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:28 pm

You are right, sprooty. Somehow the formatting got messed up on that page. It came out as one big line instead of a number of separate lines. I have corrected this on that page now. Please check the page again, refresh if necessary. You should now see the instructions to set a static IP address as it should be; on multiple lines.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

sprooty
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by sprooty » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:14 am

Any idea why we are seeing this error? I havent found a way to get around it yet.. setting a static IP doesnt fix it.

Screenshots -
http://imgur.com/a/Zj6Pm

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:01 am

Yeah, for some reason, your network interface is called ens33, not eth0. That's your problem. It is something I've never seen happen on ESXi, for which this image is built, but this could be something that happens if you run it on another virtualization platform. The solution is simple. Adjust your interfaces file to match ens33, not eth0, and then reset ens33, and it should be working fine then. Your system is just a little different than usual, that's all.

ldhaynesnc
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by ldhaynesnc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:30 am

I experienced the same problem. Beginning with 15.07, Ubuntu has changed the default naming of network devices. ensXX is the new default. There are methods to force the old names with changes to Grub (http://askubuntu.com/questions/767786/c ... untu-16-04)
However, since this is an appliance that is being provided to us and you built it on Ubuntu 16.04, it would make sense that you either modify your script to detect the new name or enable the Grub nickname override.

justinopvn
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by justinopvn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I think I have a workaround for this. Please see http://nokitel.im/index.php/2011/11/14/ ... ion-guide/

Set a route at the command line after viewing ifconfig.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 am

Just wanted to update: it's normal that the interface is called ens33 now in the latest version of Ubuntu, it's due to a new naming scheme. Simply replace eth0 with ens33 in the instructions and that's it.