Socks5 proxy bad address type issue

Weekly dev snapshots are available for testing.
We talk about them here. Testing features in the dev snapshot helps the features make it to stable.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please report your experience with testing branch. Include what you were using and how
If there is a problem, the more info the better!
Beerpanzer
OpenVpn Newbie

Socks5 proxy bad address type issue

Post by Beerpanzer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:06 pm

Good evening!

I have troubles with connecting to VPN server through socks5 proxy server. Just now I updated my OpenVPN and this issue repeated. Log:
OpenVPN 2.3.3 i686-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [PKCS11] [IPv6] built on Apr 9 2014
Enter Management Password:
Attempting to establish TCP connection with [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:1080
TCP connection established with [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:1080
recv_socks_reply: Socks proxy returned bad address type
SIGTERM[soft,init_instance] received, process exiting
I use my home-made SOCKS5 proxy server which is compatible with CURL library and Mozilla Firefox browser, but not OpenVPN.
Probably the reason is that OpenVPN queries socks server with ATYP = 3 (domain name, and providing IP as string) instead of ATYP = 1 (IP) and the socks server returns according to the protocol VER=5, REP=0 (SUCCESS), ATYP=1 (see reply to CONNECT request, there should be assigned local ip and port, it is there), so 3!=1 ?
I think if reply is 0 (OK) then no address check should be made, it is not used anywhere.

How is it possible to solve this?