OpenVPN crashes the entire system Windows 7 32bits

Weekly dev snapshots are available for testing.
We talk about them here. Testing features in the dev snapshot helps the features make it to stable.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please report your experience with testing branch. Include what you were using and how
If there is a problem, the more info the better!
PapyPo
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN crashes the entire system Windows 7 32bits

Post by PapyPo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi all,

I got a problem using OpenVPN 2.3.1(released on 2013.03.29) :

Once connected to a server, each time I start having netwok traffic, after about 2 minutes the entire system freezes. I can move the mouse pointer for about 5 seconds, then it can't move either and I have to reboot pressing the tower button.

I'm using OpenVPN under Windows 7 32bits.
I tried to install a VMWare with a Windows 7 32bits inside : it crashes both the guest and the host !

So I finally re-installed a fresh Windows 7, in dual-boot, with nothing but OpenVPN : it works, no crash.

Do anybody have an idea about what could be in conflict on my system ? I had Comodo firewall, I uninstalled it, but it's still crashing.

Any help would be appreciated !
Thank you in advance people... ^^

PapyPo.

PapyPo
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN crashes the entire system Windows 7 32bits

Post by PapyPo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Problem solved by myself :

I searched for a while what could interfere with OpenVPN.
I had Comodo Unite installed (it's a VPN program, like Hamachi), so I removed it -> still crashing.
I removed VMWare too(cause it has 2 virtual network cards) -> still crashing
I removed VirtualBox(cause it has a virtual network card) -> still crashing
I couldn't see anything matching my research in my programs list(control panel).
So I directly watched in C:\Program Files\ and felt on PC Tools Firewall.
I can't remember installing this program, I didn't know it exist until I found it. Maybe it was installed with another software ? I'm usually quite carefull with that, though... errare humanum est.

Note that this program doesn't appear in my uninstall program list in the control panel, I had to launch the uninstaller manually from the program files. PC Tools Firewall doesn't have any icon neither, it just have a background service.

After removing PC Tool Firewall, all went well. Now I can use OpenVPN for hours, with out any problem.

I hope this will be usefull for someone else !

PapyPo.