How many openvpn clients can connect to openvpn server?

Weekly dev snapshots are available for testing.
We talk about them here. Testing features in the dev snapshot helps the features make it to stable.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please report your experience with testing branch. Include what you were using and how
If there is a problem, the more info the better!
Larry-hsm
OpenVpn Newbie

How many openvpn clients can connect to openvpn server?

Post by Larry-hsm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 am

We have a project, and we want to use open vpn for our project, but there is an issue that we don’t know how many clients can connect to an open vpn server.
I know it may be related to hardware configuration of server PC. If that, could you please tell me how many clients can connect to open vpn server that have a standard hardware configuration.
I think it is better to take a instance for us, like 200 clients can connect to server, the server’s hardware configuration is:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 cores)
2GB RAM
Linux 2.6 (Debian 6)
……

If we add the RAM to 4G, how many clients can be connected to server? and if we change a better CPU? Could you please explain it to us in details?

PS: we don’t use this hardware configuration, I just take it for example.

Larry-hsm
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: How many openvpn clients can connect to openvpn server?

Post by Larry-hsm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:33 am

is anyone know about this?

Wirehead
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Wirehead » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Openvpn does not seem to need much CPU.

My site has multiple thousands of clients connected on three clusters, and each server (which are kvm or xen-based virtual machines running on top of a Scientific Linux 6.3 host) has only one virtual CPU core allocated and typically run at only 5% to 10% CPU usage. Each server handles about 2000 simultaneous clients with 2GB of RAM and 4GB of swap. They use all the RAM and about 1GB of swap. Openvpn is using 90% of the memory in use.

For a server that is hosting 2000 clients, we see RAM usage of about 3 GB. It doesn't seem to mind much if you use up all the ram and get into swap a bit.

If the above scenario holds true for other users, it seems like you should be able to host approximately 1000 clients per 1.5GB of RAM if you didn't want to use any swap and were looking for best performance.

sfallin
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by sfallin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Wirehead,

This is stunning -I figured that the server would max out at about 50 users connected via LTE and sending data. My testing was done on a dual core 4GB system with 20 devices running and using a network to do file transfers - I saw 40% CPU utilization. What kind of traffic are you sending through your servers? can you tell me more about your config? Seems like I may have missed something pretty basic.