Automatic client config update?

Scripts to manage certificates or generate config files

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

JamesVee
OpenVpn Newbie

Automatic client config update?

Post by JamesVee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:55 am

Hi, long time lurker first time poster :)
Does anyone know of a system for automatically pushing updated .ovpn files out to clients?

I have a number of VPS's running OpenVPN in 3 country's. The servers are accessed by 20 or so friends, it's community based (we all pitch in to cover the costs) and I setup the servers.
I have 2-3 servers per country (US, Aus, UK) using common certs and as these are all small inexpensive VPS's (ie low bandwidth allowance) I load balance using "remote-random". From time to time I add or remove a server and then mail new config files to my friends. Some of these folks are very non-technical and I end up having to walk them through the process which isn't that big of a deal but it would really nice to automate the update. I've thought about using a script to have the client check a secure web address for updates when they connect but i'm not sure that that would feasible.

Thanks for reading my rambling post, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.