RDNS & VPN Locations - Could This Be A Bad Thing?

This forum is to discuss and rate service providers of OpenVPN and similar services. THIS IS NOT A FREE ADVERTISEMENT. All posts have a poll with a rating of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, to rate the quality of service, etc.
Forum rules
1) You must create a poll with 5 options, Do Not Recommend (1), Poor (2), Acceptable (3), Would Recommend (4), Strongly Recommend (5).
2) This is not a free advertisement for providers, but a place to review those providers.
3) Polls which are found to be doctored by providers will be locked to a rating of 1 and the source of the spoofing will be revealed to all, including Google.
Daala
OpenVpn Newbie

RDNS & VPN Locations - Could This Be A Bad Thing?

Post by Daala » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:41 pm

If you see this with a VPN service, could this be considered a bad thing, or any type of security issue?

Reverse DNS authenticity: [Could be forged: hostname 15-44-12-11.host.bb11.net. does not exist]

I also thought with incorrect DNS information someone could hijack the servers and be posing as an imposter?

Also I've noticed with some VPN services when you do an online lookup they are reporting in another part of the world, could something like this ever be a security problem, with an incorrect location being shown? Could someone hijack a server in this situation and be redirecting it?

Thank you...

janjust
Forum Team

Re: RDNS & VPN Locations - Could This Be A Bad Thing?

Post by janjust » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:03 am

OpenVPN does not rely on the DNS name of the VPN server, but it relies on the certificate PKI instead. If someone hijacked a DNS entry then your VPN client would simply refuse to connect , unless the hijacker also managed to steal the server private key.

Daala
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: RDNS & VPN Locations - Could This Be A Bad Thing?

Post by Daala » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Ok, wasn't sure if any of this could pose a risk, but to me it looks unprofessional having broken dns and servers showing the incorrect location. I figure, if a VPN can't even get these small things right, what makes us think we are safe using this service...