OpenVPN uploading a ton of data when using PIA

This forum is to discuss and rate service providers of OpenVPN and similar services. THIS IS NOT A FREE ADVERTISEMENT. All posts have a poll with a rating of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, to rate the quality of service, etc.
Forum rules
1) You must create a poll with 5 options, Do Not Recommend (1), Poor (2), Acceptable (3), Would Recommend (4), Strongly Recommend (5).
2) This is not a free advertisement for providers, but a place to review those providers.
3) Polls which are found to be doctored by providers will be locked to a rating of 1 and the source of the spoofing will be revealed to all, including Google.
turf
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN uploading a ton of data when using PIA

Post by turf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:18 pm

I have used PIA for a couple of years, but can no longer use it on a regular basis since OpenVPN is uploading so much data it exceeds the 150GB combined monthly limit from my ISP.

Today, I used uTorrent and downloaded approx 12GB of files with uploads limited to 12kbs. I don't keep any files in my uTorrent directory so it is only uploading the files I am downloading.. uTorrent received 11.7GB of data and uploaded 722MB of data during this time. During this same time, OpenVPN uploaded about 5GB of data (and downloaded about 12 to match uTorrent).

I chatted with PIA asking what's up with this, and they said it was not a problem - it was only OpenVPN doing pings and searching for servers. To me it's a problem if it is uploading more than 1GB per hour.

Is there a fix for this problem? Someone said to use the PIA client instead of OpenVPN when using PIA, but there does not appear to be a way to do this any longer.

dnaiel
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN uploading a ton of data when using PIA

Post by dnaiel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Guys,

This is not a single case of such behavior - I have the same issue. Today it uploaded 8GB of data. I use OpenVPN for connecting to company servers - there are pretty much no significant traffic at all. What's going on?

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN uploading a ton of data when using PIA

Post by Traffic » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:05 pm

turf wrote:To me it's a problem if it is uploading more than 1GB per hour
that would be your connection to PIA ...