Feeling ripped of by OpenVPN

This forum is to discuss and rate service providers of OpenVPN and similar services. THIS IS NOT A FREE ADVERTISEMENT. All posts have a poll with a rating of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, to rate the quality of service, etc.
Forum rules
1) You must create a poll with 5 options, Do Not Recommend (1), Poor (2), Acceptable (3), Would Recommend (4), Strongly Recommend (5).
2) This is not a free advertisement for providers, but a place to review those providers.
3) Polls which are found to be doctored by providers will be locked to a rating of 1 and the source of the spoofing will be revealed to all, including Google.
xanth
OpenVpn Newbie

Feeling ripped of by OpenVPN

Post by xanth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi there.
What attracted me to OpenVPN is the "OpenSource" and the "Free" nature of the software. My customer is on a very strict budget, IE have no money!!

So, I spent time installing it several times and trialing it on various clients. Mucked around for ages getting it to work on a Mac.

Tests all good, given the go-ahead by my customer. Now spent more time installing a new server dedicated to OpenVPN, only to find that it's NOT "Free"

I guess I was fooled by the "Open Source" statement. Is it really fair to be using this statement about OpenVPN?
Also, mislead by articles such as http://compnetworking.about.com/od/vpn/ ... refree.htm, I know this is not OpenVPN's fault but I'd say they have also been mislead.

So ripped off!!!

maikcat
Forum Team

Re: Feeling ripped of by OpenVPN

Post by maikcat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 pm

openvpn comes in 2 versions...

AS (Access Server) which is NOT free

community version which IS free...

Michael.
Amiga 500 , Zx +2 owner
Long live Dino Dini (Kick off 2 Creator)

Inflammable means flammable? (Dr Nick Riviera,Simsons Season13)

"objects in mirror are losing"

xanth
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by xanth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:43 pm

This needs to be made more clear on the website.

maikcat
Forum Team

Post by maikcat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 am

i dont mean to be rude but

when you choose "VPN solution" on main page

there is a menu on the left with some options,

among others "Purchase Licence" "My licences" "Pricing"

all of them under VPN solution menu.....

it doesnt seem "free" to me though...

but maybe i am wrong.. 8-)

Michael.
Amiga 500 , Zx +2 owner
Long live Dino Dini (Kick off 2 Creator)

Inflammable means flammable? (Dr Nick Riviera,Simsons Season13)

"objects in mirror are losing"

alexev
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by alexev » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:11 pm

xanth wrote:Hi there.
What attracted me to OpenVPN is the "OpenSource" and the "Free" nature of the software. My customer is on a very strict budget, IE have no money!!

So, I spent time installing it several times and trialing it on various clients. Mucked around for ages getting it to work on a Mac.

Tests all good, given the go-ahead by my customer. Now spent more time installing a new server dedicated to OpenVPN, only to find that it's NOT "Free"

I guess I was fooled by the "Open Source" statement. Is it really fair to be using this statement about OpenVPN?
Also, mislead by articles such as http://compnetworking.about.com/od/vpn/ ... refree.htm, I know this is not OpenVPN's fault but I'd say they have also been mislead.

So ripped off!!!
"Free" in opensource means freedom not cost-less

As other members have said there is a community version fully functional and easy to deploy and use. Other OpenSource software have a really huge distance between community and licenced versions making almos unusable the community ones but that is NOT the case of OpenVPN where the community version is incredible good

The comunity documentacion (howtos) are very wel writen and easy to follow even for those like me who doesnt speak or read english very good.

The support forum is very professional and generally resply quick enought.

I am sorry you feel that way, maybe you ll need a litle more "experience" in Opensource software to see how good OpenVPN really is

gettingold
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by gettingold » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:34 am

What is the difference between access server and the free one ?

The access server can be used free for 2 users this I know
but what other differences are there?

asgard
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by asgard » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 pm

I agree with the Original Poster, I think it is wrong

Wealthy Companies are leveraging and profiting from the words "Open Source" and in this case GPL2 and charging for the software against GPL2 terms and worse; the intent and spirit of the license type.

I have seen this a lot lately and makes me wonder where this is going and if it will be the end of open source as a concept.

If you read the GPL2 agreement, I don't see that OPENVPN can legally enforce license requirements, if the sourcecode is redistributed without the OPENVPN logos.

Much like CentOS or Whitebox (before) and Redhat.

There is a way around it and there should be in my mind.

alexev
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by alexev » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:03 pm

asgard wrote:I agree with the Original Poster, I think it is wrong

Wealthy Companies are leveraging and profiting from the words "Open Source" and in this case GPL2 and charging for the software against GPL2 terms and worse; the intent and spirit of the license type.

I have seen this a lot lately and makes me wonder where this is going and if it will be the end of open source as a concept.

If you read the GPL2 agreement, I don't see that OPENVPN can legally enforce license requirements, if the sourcecode is redistributed without the OPENVPN logos.

Much like CentOS or Whitebox (before) and Redhat.

There is a way around it and there should be in my mind.
Charging for the software is NOT against the GPL2 nor any other Free Software Licence (Free meaning freedom).

I woul love to have free access to the software post #1 is talking about because as far I know is very good, but the fact that it is licensed by no means is against the GPL2, OPenVPN is cost-less, OpenSource and GPL compliant, the aplication #1 is talking about IS NOT.

As an OpenSource developer I can tell you that I charge for all my work everytime and it is not against GPL

elgato
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by elgato » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 am

Private Tunnel is in my honest opinion CHEAP AS CHIPS... my "13 quid" has lasted me a good while over a year and not even half way through my 100gb I bought it last year so I could watch the F1 racing :roll: and have to say its obliged every single time..

no money? 13 pounds is what I paid after currency conversion and to date its cost me about £6.. 11p a week...

hardly being robbed.

Skaperen
OpenVPN Power User

Post by Skaperen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:06 am

to better understand the nature of free open source software ... you, too can use the software and offer it for whatever cost you decide ... as a service or as a product or both. consider it as an opportunity. there are a few obligations that come with it. read the licences.

Skaperen
OpenVPN Power User

Post by Skaperen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:34 am

There is NO COST for you to do what you want with OpenVPN, including hiring yourself out to install, configure, and manage a VPN server running OpenVPN. :) Maybe YOU are needing to hire someone to do that for you? :roll: Security requires getting it RIGHT, not just getting it to work. 8-) Did you do that? :?: If not, expect to be hacked in. :evil: