Newbie has problems with OpenVPN client

Scripts with setup, destroy, and modify routing tables and firewall rulesets for client connections.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Leshalles
OpenVpn Newbie

Newbie has problems with OpenVPN client

Post by Leshalles » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:15 am

Hi. First, is there a way to search the forums?

Second, is the right place to ask for help troubleshooting clients?

Third, my laptop is configured with an OpenVPN client and it works to connect to the office server, really great from Starbucks. But at home my LAN is behind a Sonicwall TZ170 running the standard OS and\, although the VPN link is established, I get no internet and cannot even ping the VPN server. I have opened the port 1194 for TCP and UDP in and out, and even tried directing all OpenVPN service coming in to one computer. Nothing works.

I could not find a solution searching the internet. Do I have to do anything to get the router to pass tun/tap packets?

Any ideas appreciated.

Bebop
Forum Team

Re: Newbie has problems with OpenVPN client

Post by Bebop » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:26 am

Leshalles wrote:Hi. First, is there a way to search the forums?

Second, is the right place to ask for help troubleshooting clients?

Third, my laptop is configured with an OpenVPN client and it works to connect to the office server, really great from Starbucks. But at home my LAN is behind a Sonicwall TZ170 running the standard OS and\, although the VPN link is established, I get no internet and cannot even ping the VPN server. I have opened the port 1194 for TCP and UDP in and out, and even tried directing all OpenVPN service coming in to one computer. Nothing works.

I could not find a solution searching the internet. Do I have to do anything to get the router to pass tun/tap packets?

Any ideas appreciated.
Until the forum search is repaired, the best idea is to use Google with this paramater: site:forums.openvpn.net

This is the right place to ask, or you can ask in "Server Administration" too.

Now as for your problem, you can connect to work from your laptop at Starbucks, but you cannot connect to work from your laptop at home? Is it the same laptop, used at different locations.. or do you use a different PC at home?
The cure for boredom is curiosity

Leshalles
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Leshalles » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks for the search tip.

I use the same notebook computer at starbucks and home. I thought it was the router/firewall but I connected another computer using the same config file straight to my modem and it gave the same behavior.

Could my cable ISP provider be blocking OpenVPN? But it connects fine, I just cant reach the computers.

I noticed that when I connect from home, ipconfig /all (this is windows) has no normal DNS server IPs but some strange numbers instead of IP addresses. I need to check if the notebook gets real IP address for the DNS servers when it works.

Another clue is that it used to work from home, at some point it stopped. I thought it was some router/firewall config change, but I guess not.

Could there be some type of IP filter at the server side that was put in place?

Bebop
Forum Team

Post by Bebop » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Same laptop vs home and starbucks.. I can only think of 2 causes it would stop working from home:

(i) ISP
(ii) Router / Modem

I would suggest a factory reset on the router, but you already mentioned that you bypassed the router to the modem. The DNS thing seems interesting. You could try plugging in some GoogleDNS or OpenDNS numbers in the client.conf
The cure for boredom is curiosity