Restricting access for specific user (No internet)

Scripts with setup, destroy, and modify routing tables and firewall rulesets for client connections.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Johnnyjohnny
OpenVpn Newbie

Restricting access for specific user (No internet)

Post by Johnnyjohnny » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi

I have been scratching my head quite a lot last few hours experimenting a lot trying to restrict access for a specific user.

What I want to achieve:
I have a ex who I used to live with and she had specific data in a database hosted on my server, now that we separated I was thinking of allowing her to access her data since she lacks the equipment to run a 24/7 server.

However, if I allow her to connect to my network then I want to block access to internet and other LAN hosts except the server where the database is, which happens to be the VPN server itself (local ip 192.168.1.123)

I added a user with a fixed ip different from my other openvpn users (10.8.2.5 instead of 10.8.0.x)
This is where my trouble starts a bit, I figured out I should block with iptables, however I have only successfully blocked access to the specific host (192.168.1.123) rather than blocking internet or other hosts on the network.

I tried with
sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 10.8.2.5 -j DROP
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -d 10.8.2.5 -j DROP

But this only ending up blocking the 192.168.1.123 rather than rest of the LAN.

since im running a NAT server so I have run masquerade and I have a feeling it is one of the core issues here, commands issued at boot is:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to 192.168.1.123
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

so am I running in circles here or just thinking wrong? Is it even possible with my current setup?

Internet is accessed from router at 192.168.1.1

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Restricting access for specific user (No internet)

Post by Traffic » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:54 pm

If you have one specific user who you want to control access for, the ONLY way you can do that with OpenVPN itself is to run a server for that single user and configure it appropriately.

Otherwise, you will have to use your firewall (iptables etc) to control their access.

I have exactly the same requirement (although for a far less emotive reason) and I run a single server/client VPN for that single user and it works well. Although, for security reasons it is still necessary to implement some firewall rules to ensure a smart user does not have the ability to modify their routing and gain access beyond what you have agreed to.