upgraded to windows 10 now I'm getting an Auth Failure

Scripts which allow the use of special authentication methods (LDAP, AD, MySQL/PostgreSQL, etc).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

xtertristl
OpenVpn Newbie

upgraded to windows 10 now I'm getting an Auth Failure

Post by xtertristl » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello I've been having some problems in since upgraded to windows 10.

I previously followed the steps to setup automatic login by using a login.conf file with my username stored on line 1 and password on line 2, then edited the ovpn file to use "auth-user-pass login.conf". It's worked for me under Windows 7 and Linux mint. Yesterday I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on my machine and now I'm getting the following error.

Fri Dec 02 23:26:58 2016 AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED
Fri Dec 02 23:26:58 2016 SIGUSR1[soft,auth-failure] received, process restarting

I thought to myself this is weird lets trouble shoot it and changed the opvn file back to the "auth-user-pass" and try to reconnect. I get a pop up box where I cut and past the username and password from the login.conf file into the login box and voila it connects.

so it's obvious to me that the openvpn isn't getting the correct information from my login.conf but I don't know what could be causing it. Maybe there is a problem with the file permissions, maybe win 10 is blocking it somehow. or many other reasons. I'd love to get it fixed because it's a PITA to type in my username and password each time.

Stuff you might need to know to help.
Running windows 10 home
Openvpn is running in admin mode.
my opvn files and login.conf files are all located in the same directory "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config"
I'm using notepadd++ to edit my files.

TLDR
Can connect by manually entering my username and pw but get auth failed when using a file. New Win 10 install.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: upgraded to windows 10 now I'm getting an Auth Failure

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:14 pm

xtertristl wrote:Stuff you might need to know to help
Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !
xtertristl wrote:TLDR
Can connect by manually entering my username and pw but get auth failed when using a file. New Win 10 install.
Who are you trying to connect to .. ?