Non-Admin usage of OpenVPN on Windows

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

beckman16
OpenVpn Newbie

Non-Admin usage of OpenVPN on Windows

Post by beckman16 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 am

Hi community, I know OpenVPN client on Windows require Administrator rights to work properly. This is just because OpenVPN needs to add and remove route entries(these operations require Admin privilege) on local system.

This restriction(of Administrator rights to use OpenVPN) can be removed with the help of Windows service. This Windows service would run all time on behalf of user having Admin rights. Route add and delete calls that require Admin rights could be moved to this Windows service so that OpenVPN works even for restricted users. OpenVPN and this Windows service could communicate through some IPC mechanism like pipes etc.

I was recently studying OpenVPN and these facts came around me and thought what I need could already be available in some form. (Yes, I need to make OpenVPN client work even for restricted user)

My query is - Is there already such a solution available or developed by any of the community members for OpenVPN?

If yes, I would love to reuse the code. And-
If no, I will create such Windows service and would love to contribute it to the OpenVPN community source.

Regards
beckman16
~beckman16