Split tunneling setup to access local LAN

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

hank.school
OpenVpn Newbie

Split tunneling setup to access local LAN

Post by hank.school » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before but the stuff I am finding on split tunneling always seems to be different than what I want to do. I am also new to OpenVPN and advanced networking in general so I apologize if this is confusing.

My setup:
I have a standard WiFI router (TP-Link) behind a cable modem for a typical home setup. I wanted to put one of the computers onto a VPN so I bought a little router to add behind my TP-Link to tunnel to my provider (NordVPN). The second router is a GLI AR-150. It is a tiny little box that runs Linux, OpenWRT and OpenVPN with LuCI as a GUI. I set it up and it works fine to put that machine onto the VPN.

What I am trying to do:
Two related things... first, I want to have traffic for Netflix bypass the VPN and go straight to the Internet. I have seen guides to do this so I am sure I will be able to get that part working but if anyone specifically knows of a good newb tutorial for traffic splitting with OpenVPN I would appreciate a link. The second thing is a little more complicated...

I was wondering if it is possible to also have access to my other computers (they are on the LAN, not the VPN) from my VPN computer so I can connect to my NAS. I am assuming it would involve static routes or split traffic similar to the Netflix BUT the GLI router has a WAN and a LAN port with NAT in between so the networks are different. My TP-Link gives the WAN port of the GLI a 192.168.1.x address and the GLI gives the VPN computer a 192.168.2.x address. Is it enough to just forward the SMB/CIFS ports? I tried to have the GLI assign an address in the same range but I still have no access even with the VPN turned off and the traffic going through my LAN.

I know I can SSH into the GHI so I can change routing table or add scripts or anything that I can do from there (hopefully without breaking anything!) but I really don't know how to go about this. If anyone could give me a place to start I would appreciate it.

Thanks