Multiple VPN tunnels / Multiple TUN/TAP adapters same VPN profile for same TAP adapter

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

cm350
OpenVpn Newbie

Multiple VPN tunnels / Multiple TUN/TAP adapters same VPN profile for same TAP adapter

Post by cm350 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi guys,

First of all, nice product!

Then, the issue we are having.

We use OpenVPNserver via Pfsense Firewall with multiple customers.

Our OS is Windows 10. We use OpenVPN in combination with the openvpn-mi-gui (to connect without run as administrator - just like our customers).

This is working great! Except, when you use multiple VPN profiles in combination with muliple TAP adapters. Because OpenVPN always tries to use TAP adapter #1. So if I connect to customer #1 and simultaneous connect to customer #2 openvpn connects customer #1 to Tap adapter #1 and customer #2 to Tap adapter #2. So everything works.
But when I disconnect the session with customer #1 and disconnect with customer #2 and later I want to reconnect to customer #2, OpenVPN chosses Tap adapter #1. Which does not work because then you get the "Route:Waiting for TUN/TAP interface to come up" error.

So my question is: I want VPN Profile customer#1 always connect to TAP adapter #1 and customer #2 always to TAP adapter #2 and so on...
How do I do that?