Change connection's DN on Windows GUI

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

vordyn
OpenVpn Newbie

Change connection's DN on Windows GUI

Post by vordyn » Wed May 11, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I work for a cloud service provider and manage many clients that use a firewall with built-in OpenVPN and all of them use that to connect to their cloud environment.

Unfortunately, this means I have MANY connection profiles listed in my OpenVPN client on Windows but most of the clients don't assign a DNS entry or CA signed certificate to their connection so I end up with many of them listed by IP.

Is there any way (either by changing the config file, or other method, even using another GUI) to alter the display name of a connection profile?

The image below shows how my gui lists all my connections by IP, it gets very difficult to figure out who's who with a list like that.

The desired effect would be to see "administrator@ClientName" instead of "administrator@222.181.223.111". Searching through documentation (as little as I could find) shows nothing in the config file to change this name, renaming the connection profile's folder name (same as what's displayed) also had no effect.

Ideas anyone?

vordyn
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Change connection's DN on Windows GUI

Post by vordyn » Wed May 11, 2016 3:40 pm

My apologies for the waste of time, I had been spending quite a while trying different things and searching the web for answers and just found the answer.

The DN is tied to the ovpn file's name... sigh.

Just renaming the ovpn file changes the DN on the gui.

Hopefully someone will use my dumbness to save a bit of time figuring it out by themselves.

ecrist
Forum Team

Re: Change connection's DN on Windows GUI

Post by ecrist » Wed May 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I could have at least saved you *some* time.

Yes, you are correct, the connection name follows the file name before the ".conf" or ".ovpn".
OpenVPN Community Administrator
IRC: #openvpn, #openvpn-devel
Co-Author of Mastering OpenVPN
Author of Troubleshooting OpenVPN