Best book to get to learn OpenVPN Scripting

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

jgelinas3838
OpenVpn Newbie

Best book to get to learn OpenVPN Scripting

Post by jgelinas3838 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm fairly new to this and I've been able to set up an OpenVPN server with tls and allow clients to connect, so long as I give the clients their own certificates and configuration files. What I would like to be able to learn is how to script getting all of this to the client (certs, do authentication, use PKCS11 smart cards etc...), and have the majority of this pushed to the client (if this doesn't sound too naive). I'd like input on a book(s), sites that will teach me how to create and implement these scripts and what tools/languages to use to create these scripts.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Best book to get to learn OpenVPN Scripting

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:21 pm

jgelinas3838
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jgelinas3838 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:36 am

Ya, these books are somewhat good, but the detail is lacking. They all seems to have small example scripts for doing particular things. Like I mentioned, I would like to know (if it is even possible) to write a script that will allow a client to connect and pull (or server push) all of their configuration information before connecting. I've read the Mastering OpenVPN book and found it leaves me to glean what I want to do.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:29 am

jgelinas3838 wrote:I would like to know (if it is even possible) to write a script that will allow a client to connect and pull (or server push) all of their configuration information before connecting.
You don't need a book ..

jgelinas3838
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jgelinas3838 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 pm

OK, ya, I get it, books are limiting, but, is there a site someone knows of that will give an example of the things that I would like to do? I'm a programmer and I know how to google. I get bits and pieces, but not the whole meal with the examples I can find online.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 pm

jgelinas3838 wrote:is there a site someone knows of that will give an example of the things that I would like to do?
Read your actual question here:
TinCanTech wrote:
jgelinas3838 wrote:I would like to know (if it is even possible) to write a script that will allow a client to connect and pull (or server push) all of their configuration information before connecting.
This make no sense ..

You want to receive configuration on your client before connecting

:ugeek:

Please start here:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/WikiStart