Updated documentation, Setup Guides and Detailed Working Examples

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

bimmerdriver
OpenVPN Power User

Updated documentation, Setup Guides and Detailed Working Examples

Post by bimmerdriver » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:40 am

tldr; I realize most developers don't like writing documentation, but my wishlist item is updated documentation, setup guides and detailed working examples of clients and servers. My specific interest is a dual-stack, routed, redirected-gateway client / server on windows 10, but I expect there are others who would like the same thing for *nix, although perhaps to a lesser degree, because quite a bit of the documentation is already based on primarily on *nix.

I'll try to explain why I'm asking for this.

I use an openvpn service (as a client) for privacy and geolocation. My entire network and all of my computers are configured to support dual-stack. (I have two pfsense routers.) The openvpn service that I use also supports dual-stack. However, I've found that when I use the openvpn service that my browser (I've tried several) will never default to ipv6 and it doesn't reliably fall back to the default (ipv4). I've also found that ipv6 isn't nearly as reliable as ipv4, verified using ipv6-test.com and test-ipv6.com. I don't experience these problems using either a 6in4 tunnel or native ipv6, so whatever the cause is, it seems to have something to do with openvpn.

I posted viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22450&p=65229#p65229 and the response was that unless I could prove the problems are a result of openvpn by setting up a true openvpn server, it would not be accepted as an openvpn bug. So I decided to try setting up an openvpn server and it's been an exercise in frustration. I imagine the regulars on the forums get tired of answering dumb questions, but it's easy to forget that it's no fun asking them either. Man pages are vital, but they aren't guides. They're intended for people who already have a good idea what they are doing but need to confirm spelling or syntax or some other detail. The difference between man pages and setup guides is analogous to the trees and the forest. A detailed working example is like a map.

When I started going down this road, I found the easyrsa documentation to be incorrect / out-of-date because the windows version seems to have been abandoned. I also found there are no examples of dual-stack openvpn servers on windows. I found this article called "A Simple OpenVPN Version 2 Installation on Windows by Scott Beatty", but the link points to a parked domain.

If I ever get the server working, I'll post the details in the examples section of the forum, but if I can't get it working, there won't be anything to post. I'll try taking another run at tomorrow...