A (for-money) service to connect clients behind NAT?

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

booBot
OpenVpn Newbie

A (for-money) service to connect clients behind NAT?

Post by booBot » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:47 am

As a follow-up to this idea.

The idea is borrowed from SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) which allows endpoints sitting behind NATs to find each other: a "rendez-vous" server where side#1 (sitting behind a NAT) would register to publish its apparent public IP. When another side#2 wants to reach the first one (side#1) - it asks this "rendez-vous" server for the registered client's details and requests this "rendez-vous" server to INVITE side#1 to communicate.
Then the STUN/TURN would kick in to help the side#1 and side#2 to establish a direct link between them - exactly like a regular SIP-VoIP session occurs.

Such a "rendez-vous" server will not be hit with clients' traffic, so it must not be a too powerful host.

I think it is easier (and cheaper and more secure too) than renting a virtual appliance at some IT provider.

I think such a service would be welcomed by audience - at least a fraction of it.
Me personally am ready to pay a subscription for such a service.

Please comment.