OpenVPN GUI v.10 and Windows UAC

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Klinkov
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN GUI v.10 and Windows UAC

Post by Klinkov » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Hello, all.

I have encountered serious troubles with OpenVPN GUI version 10 from the OpenVPN 2.3.10 build for Windows.

The matter of fact is that now the "openvpn-gui.exe" binary now always categorically requires UAC (User Access Control) privilege escalation regardless of its settings and system configuration.

Personally I use OpenVPN client in the service mode. And I grant any unprivileged user to start and to stop the service by "subinacl.exe" utility ("subinacl /SERVICE "OpenVPNService" /GRANT=Users=TO"). So, with the "ServiceOnly" registry key being set as "1", local users are not obliged to possess any administrative rights to start or stop OpenVPN service via OpenVPN GUI.

But now, from version 10, OpenVPN GUI requires such permissions in itself. I believe, such approach is incorrect.

Right now I solved my problem by rolling back to OpenVPN GUI version 5 as workaround. But I kindly ask to remove the hard-coded UAC Escalation requirements from any further OpenVPN GUI versions.

Thank you.

ValdikSS
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN GUI v.10 and Windows UAC

Post by ValdikSS » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:38 am

But now, from version 10, OpenVPN GUI requires such permissions in itself. I believe, such approach is incorrect.
We believe that to, but since service doesn't work very well on Windows 8+ and GUI runs OpenVPN daemon with GUI privileges by default, we decided to make a temporary workaround for the GUI by requesting privileges until we have a working NSSM setup in the installer.

Klinkov
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN GUI v.10 and Windows UAC

Post by Klinkov » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:19 pm

So, if I understand correct, the developers will return the old GUI behavior just after fixing up the OpenVPN service operation in Win8+. Is this the point?