Simple Topology Subnet with /8

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

ribbon
OpenVpn Newbie

Simple Topology Subnet with /8

Post by ribbon » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 am

Hi there,

I am looking to create a simple vpn with a linux hosted dedicated server and a windows client. The only traffic I need to get between the are broadcast udp packets broadcast to 10.255.255.255:6454. They can be broadcast/received on any interface on the system. The windows machine is broadcasting the packets and the server is receiving them, however the server must be the server for openvpn.

I think I need to use the subnet topology, however i cannot seem to get that to work properly at all. I am brand new to openvpn today, but I know this has been done before, it's just not documented. I'd post my configs, however they are terribly butchered sample configs that seem to currently do nothing.

Sorry for such little information, I've searched and I am not sure where to even start for moving this subnet of broadcast traffic.

Thanks in advance!

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Simple Topology Subnet with /8

Post by krzee » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33 pm

broadcast packets either need a broadcast relay (last i knew bcrelay came in a pptp package) or a tap interface.
you can use a routed tap setup, you do not need to bridge.
there is no reason to use a /8 for your vpn.