Feature request: integrate WAN Optimization into OpenVPN

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

suckacheese
OpenVpn Newbie

Feature request: integrate WAN Optimization into OpenVPN

Post by suckacheese » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:44 pm

This is a feature no commercial VPN can match. There is an open source WAN optimization platform to improve network performance in latency and bandwidth constrained environment:

http://www.trafficsqueezer.org

This should be integrated into OpenVPN directly. I know at least two people who will contribute money to the development of this feature.

sprout
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Feature request: integrate WAN Optimization into OpenVP

Post by sprout » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:46 am

Very interesting!

I have just joined the forum in search of something like this (I think!)

I live in the middle of nowhere in Thailand, and the internet here is delivered wirelessly, by WISP. The best connection I can get is 13/1 Mbps.

However, I do a lot of work online, including videoconferencing, so was looking for a way to improve on the 1 Mbps upstream bandwidth.

I found a company called Peplink, and bought one of their 5 WAN bonding routers, got another 3 x 13/1 Mbps connections hooked up, and generally my experience has been excellent. However, having spent many hours working with their tech support, it appears that the weak links are my connections, which are losing packets and causing problems for Peplink's VPN (PepVPN)

When I take a single 13 Mbps WAN connection directly to my computer, I get about 10 Mbps, but when I use OpenVPN (with my own VPN server) it will normally be 15 Mbps (and last night I saw 30 Mbps!)

I also ran ping tests and found that zero lost packets when using OpenVPN to my VPN server. Without VPN, as much as 5% lost packets.

Using OpenVPN with my own server increases download speeds by 50%+ and results in zero lost packets. OpenVPN is amazing!

So... my thought was to run individual OpenVPN clients on each connection before they go into the Peplink router, and I'm interested to know if anyone has done anything ike this?

What would be the best way to approach it? 4 Odroid boxes running OpenVPN client? Some kind of rack mounted server set up? Or is this a lost cause?!

This has become a bit of a mission recently so any help from someone with some real understanding of how this works (I'm a simple end user, with no real experience in IT) would be most gratefully received! Thanks.