Clients don't connect after server upgrade to 2.4.3

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

pierre
OpenVpn Newbie

Clients don't connect after server upgrade to 2.4.3

Post by pierre » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 pm

I have been using OpenVPN since 2006 without a hitch. I have upgraded the versions throughout the years. In 2014 I rebuilt all my certificates and have been using the same configurations on server and clients ever since, while still upgrading every so often.

A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded all my clients (not the server) from 2.3.13-I601 to 2.4.3-I601. That went fine, and all the clients could connect to the server, while the server was still running the older version. Then I upgraded the server, again by simply installing the new version over the existing installation. After the installation, none of the clients could connect to the server, as if the server was offline. I am lost when reading the logs, because I don't know what's normal and what's a real problem.

Upon reading about the changes in 2.4.x, I surmise that some of the code changes may require a configuration change, but I am not sure what I need to change, if anything. Here is my server.ovpn content (all comment lines removed for brevity, and some personal information xxxx'd out for privacy).

port xxxxx
proto udp
dev tap
dev-node xxxxxxx
ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
key server.key # This file should be kept secret
dh dh2048.pem
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
server-bridge 192.168.xxx.<server-ip> 255.255.255.0 192.168.xxx.<begin-range> 192.168.xxx.<end-range>
client-to-client
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo
max-clients 10
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 4
mute 30
crl-verify crl.pem

Any idea if the above server config should work as-is with 2.4.3? It has worked as-is for years.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Pierre

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Clients don't connect after server upgrade to 2.4.3

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:04 pm

We need to see your log files ..

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help ! {2}