ASUS - Is the "Standard Profile" Secure?

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

dskrobow
OpenVpn Newbie

ASUS - Is the "Standard Profile" Secure?

Post by dskrobow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Hello, I have no server expertise, so, I must rely on the expertise and generosity of you all.

I just bought a home router from Asus, and a feature of its firmware is a built-in Open VPN server.

There are two options in the setup—using "express settings" or trying to manually configure several settings that I don't understand.

If I export the express settings as an OVPN file and import it into OpenVPN Connect for iOS, the app displays the imported file as a "standard profile."

Should I try to customize the OpenVPN server settings (within my Asus-router firmware) to maximize security, or can I trust that the "standard profile" express settings are reasonably secure?

Thanks.

dskrobow
OpenVpn Newbie

Is the "Standard Profile" Secure?

Post by dskrobow » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 pm

UPDATE: To whomever moved this post to another forum, please see that it fits with the descriptions of both the Server Admin. forum and the Config. sub-forum. If you think that it needs to be moved again, then, based on its contents, you might consider moving it to "OpenVPN Connect (iOS)" with an explanation of why it doesn't fit in this sub-forum, especially since there are other posts of a similar nature in here. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: Hello, I have little server expertise, so, I must rely on the expertise and generosity of you all.

I just bought a home router from Asus, and a feature of its firmware is a built-in Open VPN server.

There are two options in the setup—using "express settings" or trying to manually configure several settings that I don't understand.

If I export the express settings as an OVPN file and import it into OpenVPN Connect for iOS, the app displays the imported file as a "standard profile."

Should I try to customize the OpenVPN server settings (within my Asus-router firmware) to maximize security, or can I trust that the "standard profile" (as described in OpenVPN Connect for iOS) express settings are reasonably secure?

Thanks.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: ASUS - Is the "Standard Profile" Secure?

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

dskrobow wrote:I just bought a home router from Asus, and a feature of its firmware is a built-in Open VPN server.

Please check the manual for your router.

dskrobow
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dskrobow » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for your reply. Of course I read the manual before posting; it does not sufficiently answer my question. What I'm starting to guess now is that the "Standard profile" label for the OVPN file when imported into OpenVPN Connect for iOS doesn't inform you about the connection settings. Is that true? Thanks.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Here is the problem as I see it:
dskrobow wrote: just bought a home router from Asus, and a feature of its firmware is a built-in Open VPN server.

First, I cannot help with your router because I don't know what it uses for "express settings" ..

Second, I don't know what iOS uses for "standard profile."

If you want to post as much info as you can as per this - HOWTO: Request Help ! {2} - It is possible I can direct you in the right direction or somebody else may be able to help.

dskrobow
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dskrobow » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 am

Ok, thanks for your reply. If OpenVPN doesn't have any information about what the "standard profile" entails in the iOS app, I might try to find info elsewhere. Thanks again.