Accessing home SMB/AFP shares via openvpn on asus-n66u

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

tr8marx
OpenVpn Newbie

Accessing home SMB/AFP shares via openvpn on asus-n66u

Post by tr8marx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:21 am

Hi everyone, first time poster so I’m sorry in advance if I muddle some things up.

Summary of what I would like to achieve:
Use openvpn on my Asus-n66u router running Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380_7266 to access my SMB and AFP shares (freenas box) whilst out of home from any device.

What I would like to know:
Before diving into it too deep I would really appreciate if someone could give me an overview of how this should be set up so that I can get my head around it. even some basic help would be great.

What I have done so far:
So I turned on the openvpn settings in the router menu and imported the settings profile to my android running openvpn 1.1.17 from which connects perfectly using 4g data.

The issue I have is that I cannot see the shares on my network nor can I connect to the router settings or freenas box.

I played around with port forwarding a bit to no avail.

I also did some research but I didn’t find much to help me.

Thank you for your time!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Accessing home SMB/AFP shares via openvpn on asus-n66u

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:51 am

tr8marx wrote:So I turned on the openvpn settings in the router menu and imported the settings profile to my android running openvpn 1.1.17 from which connects perfectly using 4g data.
OK
tr8marx wrote:The issue I have is that I cannot see the shares on my network
Network browsing probably will not work but you can do this with windows:

Code: Select all

> net use x: \\windows.host.ip.address\sharename
so use the IP address not the host name.
tr8marx wrote:nor can I connect to the router settings or freenas box
You probably need one of these: Finally, Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help ! {2}

tr8marx
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Accessing home SMB/AFP shares via openvpn on asus-n66u

Post by tr8marx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:21 am

Hi TinCanTech, thanks for your response! I will give those suggestion a shot when I get back home.

One question though, when you say "Network browsing probably will not work," do you mean that connecting through open vpn wont give me access to the shares period OR that it just wont show up as a network so I need to access the shares directly via ip/hostnames? (or something else?)

Also I had a read through the links and they sound promising, looking forward to giving them a go.