HELP Please... OpenVPN & EdgeMax Router

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

dmartora
OpenVpn Newbie

HELP Please... OpenVPN & EdgeMax Router

Post by dmartora » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi, does anyone have any experience with setting up an EdgeRouter with OpenVPN. I know it's a predominantly command line driven activity, which I am trying to learn and understand, but I am really looking for some step by step instructions to make it simpler for me. The Ubiquiti forum has ben somewhat helpful, but all the responses seem to assume that I'm not the idiot that I obviously am and simply point me to another page that confuses me further. I have searched the net quite extensively but I'm either not getting something glaringly obvious (quite likely) or there's a some secret black-art to doing this for which I haven't learned the appropriate handshake.

You can assume the router works fine and dandy (which it does), but I want to take the next step in configuring it and now I'm lost in a world I clearly don't (yet) understand. I have an expressVPN account subscription which allows OpenVPN configuration. I have downloaded the OpenVPN configuration file (it is a single file - *.ovpn - let's call it: doessomething.ovpn). No idea what to do with it now, and no idea if it is the only file I need or whether I have to create/generate/find some others.

At a basic level, I'd simply like to know what to with the *.ovpn file, whether I need any other files, and the easiest way to get the file(s) on my router, and then to initiate the vpn service on the router (accepting the router gui isn't capable).

In case you're interested, once the vpn is set up, I want to have all the traffic from a partcular device (and only that device) on my internal network (let's call that device 192.168.10.223) routed through to use the VPN. All other traffic can merrily fall out of the router through what ever my ISP decides. But that's my next problem, and think it is something the GUI can handle.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Feel free to patronise, I clearly need small words and limited syllables.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: HELP Please... OpenVPN & EdgeMax Router

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:35 am

dmartora wrote:now I'm lost in a world I clearly don't (yet) understand
I don't know about your router but you want to read the HOWTO: For OpenVPN Community Edition